Monday, November 14, 2011

Math!!

Our little two-week break is now over and we are back to afternoon school this week. Grandma D returned home the first week of November, and then last week we had flu shots and check-ups and a holiday (Veterans Day). This is a great time of year for homeschooling, so we are excited to be back to it. So many fun lessons and crafts... ahhh the holidays are upon us. :)

I am learning that the biggest requirement in homeschooling is flexibility. Right now we are in a weird situation, with "school-school" in the morning (Kindergarten) and some supplemental school at home in the afternoon. For a little while we were doing a full curriculum (almost) every afternoon. But that's a little bananas and quite frankly, too much for me to handle. (I'm also still working about 12 hours a week from home.) So our new incarnation is to have one subject a day and just focus on that and have fun with it for an hour or two. We are focusing on 1st grade lessons during our school time at home.

Today was math - yaay! We played Frog Pond Fractions and discussed how subtraction and division take away, while addition and multiplication add. We talked about halves and quarters, etc. Then Bug did some worksheets.

Thinking ahead to next year. I am more and more sure that we are going to homeschool, so I've got a lot to prepare and plan out in the months to come. Good thing I LOVE to prepare and plan and organize... can't wait! :)

For you homeschoolers out there, how do you do the major curriculum planning? I'm assuming if I take one Saturday a month, say 4-6 hours, that would be enough to plan the outline for the next month and place my Amazon (or wherever) order for supplies, etc. And then each evening, maybe 30 minutes to make sure everything is set up as needed for the next day?

I really want to set up a great system and make it as organized as possible to avoid burn-out. I'm sure I will burn out occasionally, but a minimum of that would be ideal. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment