Friday, January 10, 2014

Incentives & Rewards

Sooo... yeah.  I used to have a hard time with the whole behavioral chart thing they do in classrooms. I just don't like labeling behavior or having kids get put into the "good" and "bad" roles. I remember in school, those labels stuck.  I was a goody two shoes, except for the excessive talking :), and even when I would do something wrong in later years, teachers would be kind to me about it... I had been labeled "good" and so any acting out was seen as an anomaly.  Likewise, the "bad" kids -- the ones who ate glue in 1st grade or came to school in those early years with a chip on their shoulder -- were labeled as such and their actions were not viewed in a favorable light.  Even as a child, I didn't think that seemed fair.

Fast forward a few years (or um... decades!) and my daughter is in school.  And I could see why the teachers had to implement some sort of behavioral system. 30 kids + lots of testing + standards that must be met + a few behavioral issues in each classroom = a need for classroom management. I totally understand.  Thankfully, Bug's teachers were fantastic at implementing their systems in a fair and kind way.  They helped the kids learn which behaviors were acceptable and which weren't.  They gave them a chance to fix their behavior. They talked them through remedies. I actually learned a lot from the way they handled these situations.

And now, at home... yeah. I have actually started a reward system for the girls.  Each week, if they both have a good attitude and do their very best at school, they will get something special on Friday. And yes, I am putting smiley faces or frowning faces up on the dry erase board to keep track of the great and not-so-great moments. I'm buying into the whole enchilada.  This week, it's a trip to the frozen yogurt shop down the street.  I'm rationalizing it to myself that after a week of hard work, everyone deserves something special right? :) When they get older and have jobs, it will probably be happy hour.  But for now, yogurt and extra long recess or a trip to the zoo will suffice.  And I promise to not use the words "good" or "bad" through this process. :)

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment